Updates on progress and impact will be posted here routinely. Our goal is to keep users abreast of impacts to services and access to areas. We will also be utilizing our Mobile Phone App and emails to communicate this information.
NOTICE DATE: Friday, April 13
POOL and HOT TUB:
The lap pool will re-open on Monday, April 16. Normal schedules will resume. This includes the hot tub.
Work in the hallway leading to the locker rooms will continue through next week. We expect to open this space for normal traffic to the locker rooms and aquatics area on Monday, April 23. We're in the homestretch on this part of the renovation. Help to keep our members focused on the short-term inconvenience and let them know the painting and new ceiling tile that is being installed will improve that area greatly.
NOTICE DATE: Thursday, March 21
The pool at Maple will be closed from Sunday, April 1 to Sunday, April 15, in order to begin work on the shared wall between the current pool room and the new pool room which is under construction.
The work will include repositioning doorways and cutting out cement blocks for windows. This means that the current pool room will have more natural light!
Closing the pool is required for the safety of our members and staff.
We are suggesting that Maple pool users for family and lane swim consider using the Portage pool during this time. Download the YMCA of Greater Kalamazoo mobile phone app and switch to the Portage filter for the pool schedule.
NOTICE DATE: January 19, 2018
HOT TUB UPDATE
UP UNTIL NOW: After several delays having to do with boiler connections and issues resulting from the removal of the small pool, mid-way through the Maple improvements, we determined that the hot tub would be included in this year's upgrades.
This component of the Maple improvements has been a tedious process with unavoidable circumstances having to do with the age of the building and surprises that have presented themselves at various stages of construction. It has been a source of great frustration for all involved.
Most recently, we have had to address structural issues having to do with interior walls separating from exterior walls, which is much more complicated than the cosmetic upgrades originally planned.
TODAY: we are finally seeing some activity in the hot tub construction area as custom parts are being delivered and readied on site. We will see progress on the following work:
- Some tiles replaced and many power-cleaned
- New half-wall installed featuring frosted glass
- New controls installed
- New ceiling installed
We have appreciated everyone's taking the news like champs, and with low grumbles. It is our every hope and expectation that this is the last delay.
ANTICIPATED OPEN DATE: End of February
NOTICE DATE: January 15, 2018
The exterior walls have been erected. Work this week will focus on the installation of roof panels.
THAT BIG TALL CRANE AT THE POOL SITE:
You won't miss it. It's being positioned and installed today, Monday, and will be on site through Friday, Jan. 19.
FRONT DOOR ACCESS:
SHUT DOWN FOR ALL. The front lawn on Maple and especially the front door will be COMPLETELY OFF LIMITS starting today, January 15 through Friday, January 19 due to crane work. No one is to enter or walk near the front Maple street entrance.
MAPLE STREET VEHICULAR ACCESS:
Through-traffic on Maple Street may be impacted as the crane is moved and positioned throughout the front property to install the roof panels. We expect an impact on vehicular traffic throughout the day on Tuesday, 1/16 and Wednesday 1/17, and or Thursday, 1/18. Please allow for extra time to travel around the Y during these days.
IN OTHER AREAS OF THE Y:
WOMEN'S FULL SERVICE: Will be closed 1/24, 1/25 and 1/26 (Wednesday through Friday) in order to repair the shower valves and shower heads.
NOTICE DATE: December 20
WOMEN'S FULL SERVICE CLOSED MOST OF FRIDAY, 12/22: We will be installing new bathroom partitions in the women's full-service area from 7a to 5p on Friday, December 22.
Full-service members will be able to access their baskets at any time but are cautioned to be aware that there will be men working in the locker room.
Please use the general women's locker room or the full access locker room during this time for changing and showering.
NOTICE DATE: 12/19
CARDIO THEATER: Will be closed Thursday and Friday of next week, 12/28 and 12/29, to paint the walls. Some painting has been going on this week and will continue, as workers "cut in" to prepare for the sprayers.
LOOKING AHEAD:(Way ahead) The week of January 12-17, very large trucks and beds will be on Maple Street, possibly creating congestion for vehicular traffic. We are being encouraged to plan on adding a little extra time to get through Maple Street.
NOTICE DATE: 12/15
The Cardio Theater Room and the Weight Room are getting painted next week, as early as Monday. We are not closing down these program areas while work is being done. Members with a sensitivity to paint fumes may want to avoid these areas.
]NOTICE DATE: 12/14
- The Youth Development Wing is completed but for new flooring that will be installed at a later date.
- The new Community Room is being well received. Several of the Group Exercise classes are now being held here. We are being responsive to room temperature and fan placement settings.
- A reminder that the Maple Street entrance is available for Early Learning students and their families, only. Everyone else should be using the new Welcome Center entrance.
NOTICE DATE 12/8
We have a variety of updates and FYI s to share. Please take note of the following impacting issues:
ACCESS TO THE LOWER LEVEL: Persons with mobility restrictions will find it easier to access the weight room and track area, as the elevator now can provide direct access.
FORMER STUDIO ROOM: Has had a complete make-over and now serves as designated space for personal exercise and stretching. Kettlebells are out and available for individual use.
FORMER TENNIS ENTRANCE: Will not be available for exit, but for emergencies. We will be installing an EMERGENCY ONLY bar against the doors, soon. No one should be using this for any other reason at any time. When outfitted with the emergency apparatus, the door will be connected to the alarm system.
NEW MULTI-PURPOSE ROOM: Located in the new construction off of the hallway that leads to the tennis and cardio area, the new MULTI-PURPOSE ROOM will be the location for several of our Group Exercise classes beginning on Monday, December 11. Those classes are:
- Monday 9am Zumba
- Monday 5:30pm Zumba
- Tuesday 9am Pilates
- Tuesday 10 am Basic Yoga
- Wednesday 10am Pilates Fusion
- Wednesday 5:30pm Cardio Kickboxing
- Thursday 9am Pilates
- Thursday 6:00pm Basic-Int Yoga
- Friday 9am Zumba
- Friday 10am Pilates Fusion
HOT TUB: Bad news and good news. The hot tub will not open until mid-January due to electrical panel issues. We have been able to budget the necessary dollars to refurbish this space, which will include new tile, exhaust system, and paint. Not part of the original scope of work, we know that this area has been in need of improvement. Rather than wait until 2018, it was decided to use this time to get it done.
NOTICE DATE 12/4
The Kids Zone is now open.
NOTICE DATE 12/1
The elevator is now in service to all floors.
NOTICE DATE 11/30
ALL MEMBERS SHOULD BE USING THE NEW WELCOME CENTER ENTRANCE off of the parking lot unless you are mobility challenged.
IMPORTANT: There is no elevator service in the building. (This is very temporary.)
Barrier-free areas available via the new Welcome Center entrance are:
- Lobby/Member Service Desk
- Cardio Room
- Tennis House
The Maple Street entrance is open today, for mobility-challenged persons until 8p, but with limited access to the facility.
Barrier-free areas available via the Maple Street entrance are:
- The Pool and Locker Rooms
OTHER UPDATES: The former Member Services area is now under the visqueen, as it is now actively under construction.
NOTICE DATE 11/28 3:30p
ALERT - TRANSITION TO NEW ENTRANCE IS NOW SCHEDULED:
The new entrance will open Wednesday, November 29, at 5a.
Mobility challenged persons should continue using the Maple Street entrance which will have limited hours from 8a - 8p.
There are no working elevators in the building until further notice.
NOTICE DATE: November 28, 2017
- We are preparing for the switch-over to the new entrance.
- Please watch your Y mobile phone app, emails and web alert system for the most current update for a smooth transition.
- We will be closing the Maple Street entrance to members when the switch is made.
- Early Learning families will be able to use the Maple Street entrance.
- We are aware of audio issues in the Cardio Theatre room. Service calls have been placed, and we anticipate a quick resolution.
- The opening of the new KID ZONE will be delayed a few days after we transition to the new entrance.
Notice Date: November 14, 2017
HOT TUB: We expect the hot tub to come back online December 22. It will be our Christmas Miracle.
WOMEN'S STEAM ROOM: Delays continue, but we hope to have it fixed by 11/27. The part is being custom made for us in Mexico.
BATHROOM STALLS: All the bathrooms in the building are getting new bathroom stall partitions. We will be closing them down at intervals, so as not to take them all offline at the same time. Plan ahead. Know where to go.
PHASE III - NEW POOL: Equipment has been mobilized and is ready to begin work on the foundation support system. For those who are interested in the details, here is some cool info.
- The machinery in place will be boring 156 holes at a depth of 20 feet.
- These holes are referred to as GEO PEERS.
- They are necessary to address the sediment present by virtue of a creek that runs alongside the property.
- The pink flags (shown below) mark where each hole will be dug. (Only 1/2 of the holes have been marked, so far.)
- Each hole will be filled with a variety of materials, at different depths.
- Each level of filling will be pounded into the ground.
- NEW TIMELINE: These extensive preparatory steps have changed the expected completion date to the end of June 2018.
NOTICE DATE: 11/10:
The following impacts will affect women's and men's bathrooms:
- LADIES: The women's restroom (lobby area) will be out of order for construction. Use the women's general or family locker room.
- MEN: The Men's general locker room bathrooms will not be available. Please use the bathroom stalls in the family locker room area.
NOTICE DATE: November 7
We are just a few short weeks away from making the transition to the new entrance and we will soon start to see activity in the new pool area, too. While we do not have a definite date in place, all the walk-throughs and final checks are leading us closer.
HOT TUB: Should be open before Christmas. We hope this downtime will give us opportunities to make some aesthetic changes.
CARDIO ROOM: There have been outages with the audio on the treadmills connected to the monitors. Service calls have been placed, and we hope that it will be resolved by the end of the week.
NEW POOL: Within the next two weeks, digging and drilling equipment will be on site to execute the first stage of building a firm foundation. This process is called "geo piling". It involves creating deep, narrow tubes into the earth and packing with crushed gravel. This should be complete in the first week of December. Following that phase, we will see the concrete foundation poured. By January, the walls should be up and the roofing started. Expected completion: Spring 2018.
Our photos this week feature some of the details in the new addition, highlighting colors, light, and just very cool elements.
NOTICE DATE: October 31, 2017
No new impacts or completion dates to report, other than we are a few short weeks away from making the switch over to the new entrance.
NOTICE DATE: October 26, 2017
On Friday, October 27, sometime between 10:00 a and 11:30a, we will be testing fire alarms.
This is part of the preparation for opening the new space, as inspectors from the city, including the fire marshall, will be setting off all of the fire alarms to make sure everything works properly.
This means that we are that much closer to the completion of the construction project. We will soon be on the countdown to opening the new space. Stay tuned for that date!
NOTICE DATE: Thursday, October 19
The main parking lot was opened to vehicular traffic, today. Please take note:
- There is an area still cordoned off for continued staging and construction needs.
- Handicap spaces have not yet been designated.
- Please continue to use the overflow parking lot off of Hudson as needed.
Inside: The last main construction component of demolition was accomplished this week, tearing down the wall between the new and old spaces. Currently, still off limits, the visqueen barrier does show how the natural light will affect that area.
NOTICE DATE: Wednesday, October 4
CHANGE OF SCHOOL PARKING LOT ACCESS:
Due to student safety concerns and available space at Maple Magnet, we are no longer able to park across the street at the school. The school is enforcing this. To avoid being towed, please park in the overflow parking lot behind the church off of Hudson.
We are sending this message out with urgency, this afternoon.
NOTICE DATE: Tuesday, October 3
MAPLE STREET ENTRANCE: Will be closed Friday, October 6 from 5A to 2P.
PARKING LOT: Will remain closed to regular traffic until the week of October 16. We have decided that in the best interest of member and staff safety, it is best to keep the lot closed as an active construction site.
Tuesday, September 26
- HOT-TUB: Due to unforeseen boiler manufacturing delays, the hot-tub will not open as anticipated in mid-October and could take as long as the end of the year to reopen.
- CARDIO THEATRE: Is now open.
- PARKING LOT: On track for completion by Monday, October 2
Thursday, September 21
TENNIS HOUSE ACCESS:
Accessing the tennis house through the outdoor tennis court and cage area is NOT going to happen. We will continue walking through the Cardio Theatre area. Don't be alarmed when you see that the floor is being worked on. There will be a path for us through which to walk.
Background: It's amazing how one day of rain can throw off plans and backup plans, but now we are on plan C and that's how we must roll. Three cheers to the our tennis players for keeping up with all the changes. Thank you to our contractors and project managers for figuring out how to make things work.
Good News: Parking paving is scheduled for Monday, and the weather looks great.
NOTICE DATE: Tuesday, September 19
There will be a delay in the previously planned alternative entrance for the Tennis House. Due to the rain causing a delay in paving the parking lot, we will continue using the interior access to the Cardio Theatre. At this time, the alternative plan to use the far south entrance by the outdoor tennis courts will be delayed until Friday, September 22.
In other words: keep using the Cardio Theatre access until 9/22.
OTHER POINTS OF INTEREST:
- New Addition: We will start to see the installation of the glass, this week.
- New Addition: Materials are being delivered this week for the start of the elevator installation.
- Lower Level: Walls in the Youth Development area are being knocked down.
- Pool Demolition: Debris removal continues, as the wrecking ball continues to support the excavation of the foundation. Videos of the demolition can be seen on our Facebook page.
Please consider allowing a few extra minutes to get to where you want to be when planning your trip to the Maple Y. It is taking a couple minutes longer to find parking spaces, and to navigate the building during re-routes.
TENNIS HOUSE ENTRANCE: BIG TEMPORARY CHANGE. THIS IS TRICKY---PLEASE READ CAREFULLY! Beginning September 20, the only way to get into the tennis house will be through the most southern exterior door, which is through the tall chain-linked fence in the far back close to the outdoor courts (where normally the YMCA bus is stored.) The parking lot will still be unavailable for general use and will be closed, HOWEVER, there will be a path designated for tennis house users along the far south side of the lot. Tennis house users must park in the far corner of the lot (by the outdoor courts.) There will be NO WAY TO GET TO THE TENNIS HOUSE from inside the main Y building until Tuesday, September 26, through the Cardio Theatre.
PARKING LOT: Should be opened for use Monday, October 2. It will be obvious when the lot opens. We are all looking forward to it.
NEW STUDIO SPACE: The new studio is located on the second floor, through the south gym, in one of the racquetball courts. It is the first court on the left. This, henceforth, will be referred to as the STUDIO LOFT. The STUDIO LOFT is now available for classes and personal training, only. A reminder, that once the new construction is complete, we will be able to designate space for kettlebells and other items that were normally found in the former studio space.
Things are getting real. Within the week, we will be hearing construction and demolition from essentially every corner of the property. Heres whats going on this week:
PARKING LOT: Paved on Monday and Tuesday, September 18 and 19.
LOBBY/FRONT DESK AREA: Walls will be broken down to create the new access points. This will be noisy and dusty. Plastic partition walls should decrease the mess. Sensitive ears should consider using the Portage facility these next couple weeks.
CARDIO ROOM: Closed and off-limits starting September 15-25. Reopens Tuesday, September 26. We can look forward to new equipment and new flooring. We will henceforth refer to this space as the CARDIO THEATRE ROOM.
GROUP EXERCISE ROOM: No interruption.
ACCESS TO LOWER LEVEL: Continue using the general locker room stairwells to the track area to access the Group Ex room and the Cardio Theatre until further notice.
STUDIO ROOM: No longer exists. The kettlebells are temporarily unavailable until a new studio-style classroom is created in the squash court area. This new programming area, when it comes online, will be for classes and supervised training, only. Once construction is complete, there will be an open stretching and free weight area where additional kettlebells and equipment similar to our original studio space will be available.
OLD POOL/NEW POOL: Demolition starts this week.
Shower facility alert: Please be aware that the water temperature Thursday morning to early afternoon will be below the normal settings, due to a planned shutdown of the boiler system which will take place Wednesday night. The boiler system will take several hours to heat the water back up to normal temperature. This will affect all shower/locker room areas throughout the building.
Background info: The boiler system will be shut-down during the off hours, as part of a water-shut down, while work crews re-pipe in preparation for the new pool installation.
It is our first priority to reduce construction impact to the Y membership. We ask for your continued patience and understanding as we move toward heavier and more frequent construction impacts and inconveniences.
UNEXPECTED IMPACT: The tennis house will be closed on Friday, September 8. Staff is working hard to get court times switched and rescheduled. Tennis players are encouraged to play at Portage.
YOUTH AREA: The lower level youth spaces will not be available for kids to use, so Pete will be moving games, etc up to the gym.
ACCESS TO LOWER LEVEL: Access to the track area will be utilized through the men's and women's general locker-room. Full-service men's stairway is also available, but Women's full-service lower level will not have access to the track.
WOMEN'S FULL-SERVICE MEMBERS: See above note.
FRONT MAPLE STREET TURN-AROUND DRIVEWAY: The week of September 11, a fence will be going up at our north entrance (pre-school side of the building), from the overhang and angling out toward the school's large parking lot. A new drive entrance will be cut into the curb, allowing cars to come in and use the semi-circle drive (smaller, but accessible). The grass and large tree will be torn up to allow for extra parking spaces.
HOT TUB: Closed until mid-October. This is due to the new filtration system that is being built to support both the hot tub and the new pool.
CARDIO ROOM: The cardio room will be closed Monday, September 15- Tuesday, September 26. A new floor will be installed as well as all new cardio equipment.
STUDIO: This space no longer exists.
NOT RELATED TO CONSTRUCTION BUT GOOD TO KNOW:
There are NO fee-based classes September 5 - September 10.
Free to member classes will be happening September 5 - 10.
The new session starts September 11.
- The Cardio room will be closed September 15-26 for new flooring and new equipment.
- As of today, the Studio will no longer be in service.
- The building will be completely shut down August 28 - September 4 for construction, routine maintenance and Labor Day.
- The main parking lot is now under construction. Use the overflow lot off of Hudson behind the church or the north end of the Maple School lot.
- Handicap parking is affected and now limited.
- The hot tub will be closed for an extended period of time beginning August 28. Expect a 6-8 week shut-down period.
- The main Y parking lot will be closed Monday, August 21 through September 15.
- The tennis entrance will close permanently Monday, August 21.
- The tennis desk will no longer exist beginning Monday, August 21.
- The building will be closed for major construction and annual maintenance Monday, August 28 through Monday, September 4.
The parking lot main entrance will be closed 8/1 and 8/2 (Tuesday and Wednesday.) The Maple Street entrance and the Tennis entrance will be open at this time.
The Y's parking lot will be under construction the entire month of August. Alternative parking will be available at
- The overflow parking lot off of Hudson (behind the church)
- Maple Street School
The main entrance to the building off of the parking lot will be closed 7/27 and 7/28 (Thursday and Friday.) The Maple Street entrance and the Tennis entrance will be open at this time.
LOOKING AHEAD: The Y's parking lot will be under construction the entire month of August. Alternative parking will be available at
- The overflow parking lot off of Hudson (behind the church)
- Maple Street School
No impacts to any YMCA experience these next two weeks.
Work is being contained under the roof of the new addition.
- The main building entrance off of the parking lot will be closed Thursday and Friday.
- Parking will be limited in the back parking lot.
- Handicap accessibility in the back lot will not be available.
- Limited handicapped parking will be available off of the Maple St. driveway.
- People requiring close access to the building on these days are encouraged to use the Portage Y.
Expect congestion on Hudson Street as cement trucks line up around the perimeter of the Y's property to pour the foundation slab.
- The main building entrance off of the parking lot will be closed Thursday and Friday.
- The main parking lot will have limited accessibility during the day.
- Please use the overflow parking off of Hudson or Maple Street School parking lot.
- To avoid this area entirely, use the Maple Street entrance (north side).
JULY 5, 6 and 7: Roof framework will be installed. Expect to see a very large crane in the main parking lot, and 70 ft long trucks on Hudson Street. Access to Hudson will be very limited, and may at times be completely closed to through traffic.
- The main parking lot will be closed.
- The main back (south) entrance will be closed.
- The Tennis entrance will remain open.
- Park in the Maple School parking lot.
- Use the front Maple Street (north) entrance.
- Consider using the Portage facility.
IMPACT TO Y MEMBERS AND GUESTS:
--The former tennis lobby and connecting hallway will be under major construction Thursday, June 22
and Friday, June 23. Loud jackhammering will be an element. While the cardio room will be open during this time, we recommend using the Portage facility or wearing earplugs. It will be very loud intermittently throughout the day. We expect this work to be done between 6a and 4p.
--The new playground installation began this week. We will see mulch and sand delivered, to
be spread by our friends and volunteers from PNC Bank on Saturday, June 24.
LOOKING TO NEXT WEEK, JUNE 26:
--Cement trucks will be stationed around the perimeter of our grounds on the east and south side, to pour the foundation/slab of the addition. This will impact access to the Y parking lot.
--We encourage our members and visitors to use the Maple School parking lot and get used to entering the Y facility from the Northside (Maple Street) entrance.
IMPACT TO USERS: Alterations to the Tennis entrance will begin Tuesday, June 13, impacting the lobby (which will be under construction) and access to the unisex bathrooms in the hallway connecting to the Studio Room. A new temporary bathroom has been built by the Cardio room. To access the Cardio and Tennis area from the lower level, please follow the signage.
Construction continues with taller walls being built and the ground is compacted.
From different perspectives INSIDE the fence, we can now see the first of the structural steel set, the block being laid at the west end for the multi-purpose room, and the pumping of concrete to the elevator shaft walls.
We ask that all able-bodied persons park in the overflow parking log off of Hudson St. behind the church. In this way, our members and guests with mild disabilities, our elderly and families with very young children will have the closest building access. Thank you, in advance, for your cooperation.
ALERT/CONSTRUCTION IMPACT: The back parking lot entrance will be blocked Friday, May 19 from 11a - 2p, due to cement trucks pouring concrete. Members and guests are encouraged to use the overflow parking lot off of Hudson (behind the church) during this time. Access to handicap parking spaces may be impacted. Those who require close access are encouraged to be dropped off at the front of the building in the turn-around.
- Kids Zone area is taking shape as the foundation is being dug up and prepared for the pouring of cement footings.
- Walls have emerged.
- The elevator shaft walls are being poured this week.
- Foundation walls are also starting to emerge as the exterior walls are being built.
- The steel is being manufactured (off-site, of course.)
Transitioning to the covered tunnel.
We will begin to see evidence in the back parking lot which will initially be used as a staging area.
Areas of impact:
- Canopy over rear south entrance will be removed.
- Parking lot lines will be redrawn.
- Handicapped parking will be moved one row south.
- The walkway to the back entrance to the main building will be redirected.
- Fencing will be installed to contain the work site.
- Programming and services will not be impacted at this time.