Q: What sort of documentation is needed?

A: For every adult in the household, whether they will be on the membership or not, we need all of the following that apply to you:

  • The first two pages of your Federal 1040. Or, IRS form 4506EZ, which allows us to verify that you did not file. We do not accept W-2 forms or your state 1040.
  • Two consecutive, current pay stubs showing YTD income.
  • Letter from the Social Security Administration showing monthly income.
  • Statements showing any additional income, such as pension.
  • Statement from the court showing child support or alimony.
  • Notice of Case Action letter showing your eligibility and listing the individuals on your case. You can find additional documentation on the DHS website. We do not accept your Bridge Card as documentation, but we do accept Medicaid cards.
  • Statement or lease showing the amount of your rental subsidy.
  • Statement showing your unemployment benefit, and the dates you will be receiving it.

Q: I do not receive check stubs. Can I provide some other documentation?

A: That depends on your situation:

  • If you work for yourself, your tax return is sufficient, as long as it shows your business income.
  • If you are paid in personal checks, you can provide a signed statement from your employer stating how much they pay you each month.
  • We do not accept bank statements as documentation of employment. We need something showing gross income.

Q: I receive income on behalf of my children. Do you need documentation?

A: Yes. If you are a foster or adoptive parent, we need documentation of the subsidy you get for the care of your child. If your children receive social security, we need documentation from the Social Security Administration.

Q: I do not have any income. What kind of documentation do I need to provide?

A: We need either the first two pages of your 1040 or IRS form 4506EZ. Also, we need documentation showing how you are paying your food and housing. This documentation can come in the form of a signed letter from someone who is helping you or an account statement of any other financial resources you are using.