Things You Need to Know
Photo identification or proof of membership must be presented upon check-in.
All members are required to have signed an updated waiver form prior to coming back to the Y after the COVID-19 closure. Please click here to process electronically.
Youth Members up to age 7
- Must be accompanied by and participating with an adult in all areas unless taking a program (i.e. swim lessons or tennis class)
- Kids Zone is provided for youth members for a $6 monthly fee per family
- Children 5 and up may participate in Healthy Kids University, when available
- May not use any of the exercise equipment (Cardio, Weights or Free Weights)
- New pool usage requirements for youth 14 and under require deepwater tests -- read more here
Youth Members ages 8 - 11
- May participate in scheduled youth activities in the Youth Center without an adult
- Must pass a swim test to swim without an adult - unless otherwise specified, the adult must be in the pool area
- May not use any of the exercise equipment (Cardio, Weights, or Free Weights)
- 11 year olds who are in sixth grade or above may use Fitness Center equipment after completing an orientation
Youth Members ages 12 - 14
- May use the facility without an adult, with the exception of exercise equipment
- May use all exercise equipment only if accompanied by an adult and after completing an orientation
Youth Members ages 15 - 18
- May use the facility at any time with no restrictions
- Equipment orientation must be completed prior to using the exercise equipment
- At the Maple Branch, no bags are allowed in the weight room track area, or gym area (during open gym time only)
- Only water can be consumed (in a tightly sealed container) in all exercise areas; other beverages can be consumed in the common areas
- Cardio equipment is limited to 30 minutes if others are waiting. Strength training equipment is limited to one set if others are waiting. Please allow others their opportunity to work out -- don't monopolize a piece of equipment. Members are asked to be respectful of others by re-racking weight plates and wiping off all equipment after use.
- Full Access locker room barrier-free spaces designed for all persons, and are especially useful for those requiring extra physical space or privacy, and parents accompanying children of the opposite sex.
Our YMCA has policies in place for the benefit, safety, and welfare of our members, guests, and our organization. All policies are approved by the YMCA Board of Directors.
Guest/Day Pass Policy
- The Y welcomes guests to utilize our facilities for a daily fee.
- Daily fee rates: $25 Household (2 adults + dependents under 24), $10 Adult (age 20 and above), $8 Teen (ages 13-19), $6 Youth (ages 12 and under).
- Guests must be 18 years of age or be accompanied by someone 18 years of age or older.
- All guests 16 years of age and up must show a photo ID.
- The YMCA reserves the right to amend guest policies as needed. Guest visits may be restricted during certain days/times/seasons to the discretion of YMCA management.
- Guests may not be eligible to participate in activities that require pre-registration due to limited capacity in some program areas. Please contact Member Services for more information about current capacity limits.
Policy of Nondiscrimination
It is the policy of the Y to make membership available to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or financial circumstances without discrimination.
Facility Members: those using the Y facilities as outlined in the Y program and facility guide, subject to Y charges and policies.
- Youth - Individuals 12 and under
- Teen - Individuals between ages 13 and 19
- Young Adult - Individuals between ages 20 and 29
- Adult - Individual adult 30 and older
- Single Parent - Individual adult with dependents (under the age of 24 and living in the same household)
- Family - Two adults living in the same household, with or without dependents (under the age of 24 and living in the same household)
- Family 3rd Adult - Three adults living in the same household, with or without dependents (under the age of 24 and living in the same household)
- Health Insurance Subsidized Membership / Wellness Programs - a form of membership that is supported by the individual's health insurance company
- Contributing Member - those who further the goals of the Y by making charitable contributions; this membership carries no facility privileges or access to program activities
A joiner's fee will be charged to each new membership unit unless there is a promotional special. The current maximum fee is $75.00. The fee is used to support continual improvements to facilities and equipment.
As part of the annual budget, the CEO has the responsibility for setting rates for membership dues. The volunteer Board of Directors shall approve the budget plan.
Membership dues are payable on the first or fifteenth of the month by automatic electronic payment. Returned or incomplete payments are subject to a returned payment fee. Please refer to the collections policy for detailed information.
Membership dues are not refundable.
When a member renews within one month of cancellation, the joiner fee is waived. However, if more than 30 days elapse from the termination date, the member is subject to joiner fees.
Continuity of Membership: Members shall be encouraged to regard membership at the Y as a continuing relationship to be terminated only by resignation of the member or the action of the governing body.
Financial Assistance: It is the policy of the YMCA to serve all people regardless of financial situation. Financial assistance (MY-Rate) shall be provided to qualifying individuals subject to available resources. For more information, click here.
Methods of Payment
Membership dues may be paid quarterly or annually by check, cash, Master Card, or Visa or by automatic withdrawal from checking, savings, Master Card, or Visa.
Conditions of Membership
Membership Cards: A membership card is proof of membership and must be presented in order to use a Y facility. A member who does not have a membership card must present photo identification, such as a driver's license, to allow staff to verify their membership. For security purposes, a photo ID must be presented when requesting a replacement card.
Suspension or revocation of membership: Membership privileges may be suspended or revoked by the YMCA staff for failure to live up to the standards and commitments of being a member. The length of suspension shall be determined by staff.
Sexual Offender Policy: We consider it of great importance to providing a safe and threat-free environment. The Y reserves the right to deny access or membership to any person who has been charged with or convicted of any crime involving sexual abuse or who is required by law to register as a sex offender.
Non-members who register and participate in any of the various program classes the YMCA offers are considered participants. Participants must show their participant card for entrance to the facility and must provide picture ID upon request.
It is the responsibility of the member to inform the Y of a membership cancellation. Discontinuation forms must be submitted in writing by the 25th of the month prior to the next bank draft in order to take effect by the 1st of the following month; and, if discontinuation is submitted after the 25th, another bank draft will be necessary.
Classes and programs have a minimum number of participants in order to be held. If registration falls short of this minimum, the class will be cancelled. A credit will be applied to your account for the cancelled program.
If a Y program class is cancelled due to inclement weather or causes beyond our control, every effort will be made to create a make-up class.
With the presentation of a doctor's note, a membership can be deactivated for medical reasons. When the Y receives a doctor's note stating that you can resume physical activity, the membership will be reactivated without the joining fee.
Members may put their membership on hold for $15 a month. There is no minimum or maximum requirement.
Away / Reciprocal Privileges Program
As a member, you may participate at Y's across the country based on their visiting member policy. Each Y establishes its guest member policy. Most offer a number of usages without fees. Check with the Y you plan to visit for their policy. You can find a Y in the area you are visiting by clicking here to: Visit the National YMCA site for more information (fees may apply).
A visiting member may be a guest at the YMCA of Greater Kalamazoo up to ten free times per year. Additional visits will cost one-half of the daily guest fees. Guest must present a valid Y membership card and photo ID to receive benefits. Sherman Lake and Battle Creek YMCA members have unlimited visits with valid membership card.
The YMCA of Greater Kalamazoo is a tobacco free and vapor free facility.
Cell Phone Usage
For security and privacy purposes, phone cameras, cell phones and other electronic devices are prohibited in restrooms, showers and locker rooms.
Early Closing Areas
YMCA facilities and amenities, including locker rooms, close at the time posted. The pools close 15 minutes prior to the rest of the facility to ensure ample time for members to transition. All members and guests must be out of the building at closing time.
Member / Participant Code of Conduct
The YMCA of Greater Kalamazoo as an organization is committed to the principles of caring, respect for others, personal responsibility, and honesty. All members, guests, and staff are expected to reflect these values in their personal conduct toward other members, guests, and staff.
The YMCA strives to provide a safe and welcoming environment for all members, guests, and program participants. To promote safety and comfort for everyone, all individuals are asked to act appropriately at all times when in our facilities or participating in our programs.
We expect those using the Y to act maturely, behave responsibly, and respect the rights and dignity of others. Our Member/Participant Code of Conduct Policy lists examples of prohibited actions. Such actions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Using, possessing, buying, selling, or delivering alcohol or illegal chemicals on Y property, in Y vehicles, or at Y sponsored programs
- Using tobacco or vaping products on Y property
- Carrying or concealing a weapon and/or any device or object that may be used as a weapon
- Harassment or intimidation by words, gestures, body language, or any type of menacing behavior
- Physical contact with another person in an angry, aggressive, or threatening way
- Verbally abusive behavior, including angry or vulgar language, swearing, name-calling, or shouting
- Sexually explicit conversation or behavior; any sexual contact with another person on Y property, in Y vehicles, or at Y sponsored programs
- Shirts must be worn at all times except when in the locker room or pool areas
- Theft or behavior that results in the destruction or loss of property or injury to a person
- Loitering within or on the grounds of the Y
- Engaging in conduct that unreasonably interferes with another member or staff person's enjoyment of the Y
- Use of cell phones and other electronic devices in restrooms, showers, and locker rooms at all Y facilities
Grounds for Suspension or Termination
The Y does not tolerate inappropriate, threatening or harassing behavior. Any behavior that is determined to be unacceptable by the YMCA or is in conflict with the YMCA's mission and values will be grounds for the immediate suspension or termination of membership. No refund will be issued.
In order to carry out these policies, we ask that members, guests, and program participants identify themselves to staff when asked. Y leadership staff will investigate all reported incidents. The Y reserves the right, among other things, to deny access, revoke membership, and/or remove any person from the facility on the spot who violates any of the above behaviors, or any other behavior that may be detrimental to others. This is at the sole discretion of Y management. The Y leadership staff will determine whether a violation of the Y Member/Participant Code of Conduct has occurred and determine any consequences.
We ask you to follow the Y Code of Conduct and to exhibit the values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility, and inclusion while you're here.
Get Oriented - Not sure how to use the equipment or what you should be doing? Orientations are free and encouraged for all members. Orientations may be scheduled via MotionVibe.
Take Care - If there's a problem with any of the equipment or the facility, please inform a staff member. Contact a staff member immediately in the event of an accident.
Be Safe - Wear appropriate clothing and footwear. Warm up before exercising and cool down afterward. Have a spotter help you with free weights. Make sure you've had enough to eat and drink before exercising to prevent getting dizzy or light-headed. If you are experiencing dizziness, pain, or unusual discomfort at any time, stop and ask for help.
Help Us Keep the Y Clean - Wipe off equipment after each use. Return all equipment when finished with it. Take personal items with you. Remove the plates from lifting bars when you're done.
Give Others a Turn - The equipment here is for everyone to use. Please respect the 30-minute time limit on cardio equipment if others are waiting and follow any posted sign-up procedures.
Be Aware - Y facilities and amenities, including locker rooms, close at the times posted. The pools close 15 minutes prior to the rest of the facility to ensure ample time for members to transition. Please help us ensure the safety of our members and staff by respecting the facility's closing time.
Be Respectful - Members, guests, and participants may not record or take photos with any type of device in any area of the facility.
When using the Y, please bring a lock to secure your belongings, including car keys, and wallets, at all times. Valuables are best left at home. The Y is not responsible for theft or damage to your property. For security and privacy purposes, use of cameras, cell phones, and other electronic devices are prohibited in restrooms, showers and locker rooms.
The Y staff is trained to deal with blood-borne pathogens and open wounds. All necessary equipment is available. We reserve the right to limit or restrict the use of our facilities if there is a risk of spreading or transferring communicable or infectious diseases. NOTE: Due to Covid-19 precautions, please consult our most current safety measures to ensure the safety of all those who enter our facilities and properties.
Inclement Weather Policy
If inclement weather occurs, please check with the facility for any closing/cancellation information. You may go to our homepage on our website, use our mobile phone app, or check out our Facebook page.
Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animal's work or the individual's disability prevents him or her from using these devices. Individuals who cannot use such devices must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls. The YMCA of Greater Kalamazoo may exclude service animals only if 1) the dog is out of control and the handler cannot or does not regain control, or 2) the dog is not housebroken. If a service animal is excluded, the individual may be allowed to enter the Y without the service animal.
The Y does not allow any solicitation on its property. Community flyers and posters must be approved to be posted on the Y's Community Board.
In order for the Y to safely manage the gym space, especially during COVID-19 precautions, we will be closely monitoring the gym to ensure that these rules are abided by. Please make every effort to know and practice these gym rules.
- There are to be no more than 12 members per court
- Bags and food are not allowed in the gym except for water
- No dunking or grabbing the rim
- All players must be off the track and near the court if they are not playing
- Please keep the track clear at all times for our members who are walking, jogging, or running
Failure to follow the Gym Rules will result in suspension or termination of your YMCA Membership