The YMCA at Maple now offers access to its cardio and selected strength equipment 24/7.
What are the age requirements?
- Members must be 18 years or older to be eligible for 24-hour access.
Who is eligible for 24/7 access?
- 24/7 access is for YMCA of Greater Kalamazoo members only. It is not available for group memberships, State or Nationwide Reciprocity.
What times will the 24/7 access center be open?
- 24/7 access is available at all times the facility is closed, including holidays. During the YMCA of Greater Kalamazoo’s business hours, you will be required to access the facility through the main doors as you have done previously. Upon closing, you will be able to access the Cardio Center through the 24/7 access entrance to the east of the building.
What areas do 24/7 members have access to?
- Members have access to the Cardio Center - including newly added strength equipment - and the bathrooms located in the hallway.
How do 24/7 members get into the Cardio Center after the Y is closed?
- A key fob is your after-hours key to the Cardio Center. Your key fob is unique to your membership. To access the Cardio Center, hold the fob up to the fob reader to the side of the door. You will hear the door activate and see the reader light turn from red to green when the fob is read. Upon activation, pull on the door to gain access. To exit, simply walk out the same door you came in by pushing on the door to exit. Be sure the door is closed after entering or exiting. It is the responsibility of the person entering to not let anyone else enter without scanning their own fob.
How much does it cost?
- The cost to purchase the key fob is $25.00. There is a monthly fee of $5.00 added to your membership dues. The fob and monthly dues are required per-person.
How do members sign up for 24/7 access?
- You can sign up for this access by going to the Welcome Center. Members will be required to sign a waiver.
What if my key fob is lost or damaged?
- If you lose or damage your key fob, report it to the Y immediately. A replacement fob can be purchased for $25.00.
Will members only need one key fob per family?
- No. Each adult individual must purchase their own key fob to be able to access the facility after hours.
What if there is an injury/emergency during non-staffed hours in the Wellness Center?
- We highly recommend that members exercise with other 24/7 access members when using the facility outside of staffed hours, because we will not have any staffing assistance during the times the Y is closed. There is an emergency phone in the Cardio Center to use, if needed, to call 911.
What if a member with 24/7 access lets a member without 24/7 access into the Wellness Center with them after hours?
- Members with 24/7 access cannot grant access to other individuals, even if they are YMCA members and known to you. Granting access to another individual will result in the member losing 24/7 access and possible termination of their Y membership. The individual accessing 24/7 without the proper membership will be deemed as trespassing.
What are the safety and security measures for the facility?
- The Cardio Center is monitored by a video surveillance system for security purposes. Staff will review the video on a daily basis to address any security concerns and monitor for appropriate usage. You should not assume the facility is monitored live.
Will 24/7 access be available in Portage?
- 24/7 access is currently limited to the Maple Street location.
Why the 24/7 in Kalamazoo (Maple Street Y) and not in Portage?
It’s prohibitive to set up a secure and safe 24/7 access center in Portage due to the location of the exercise equipment compared to the Maple Street YMCA.
Why are you implementing 24/7 access?
- To meet the growing needs of those with varying schedules. It’s in response to member feedback asking for longer/extended hours.