Our members asked for it, and we're delivering!
Starting Monday, January 4, 2021, the YMCA at Maple will offer access to its cardio and selected strength equipment 24/7.
What are the age requirements?
- Members must be 18 years or older to be eligible for 24-hour access.
Who is eligible for 24-hour access?
- 24-hour access is for YMCA of Greater Kalamazoo members only. It is not available for group memberships, State or Nationwide Reciprocity.
When can members start using the 24-hour access?
- The 24-hour access at the Maple Street location will go live starting Monday, January 4, 2021.
What times will the 24-hour access center be open?
- During the YMCA of Greater Kalamazoo’s business hours, you will be required to access the facility through the main doors as you have done previously. Upon closing, you will then be able to access the Cardio Center through the 24-hour access entrance to the east of the building.
What areas will members have access to?
- Members will have access to the Cardio Center - including newly added strength equipment - and the bathrooms located in the hallway.
How will members get into the Cardio Center after the Y is closed?
- A key fob is your after-hours key to the Cardio Center. Your key fob is unique to your membership. To access the Cardio Center, hold the fob up to the fob reader to the side of the door. You will hear the door activate and see the reader light turn from red to green when the fob is read. Upon activation, pull on the door to gain access. To exit, simply walk out the same door you came in by pushing on the door to exit. Be sure the door is closed after entering or exiting. It will be the responsibility of the person entering to not let anyone else enter without scanning their own fob.
How much will it cost?
- The cost to purchase the key fob will be $25.00. There will be a monthly fee of $5.00 added to your membership dues. The fob and monthly dues are required per-person.
How do members sign up for 24-Hour access?
- You can apply for this access by going to the Welcome Center. Adult Y members will be required to sign a waiver.
What if my key fob is lost or damaged?
- If you lose or damage your key fob, report it to the Y immediately. A replacement fob can be purchased for $25.00.
Will members only need 1 key fob per family?
- No. Each adult individual will need to purchase their own key fob to be able to access the facility after hours.
What if there is an injury/emergency during non-staffed hours in the Wellness Center?
- We highly recommend that members exercise with other 24-hour access members when using the facility outside of staffed hours because we will not have any staffing assistance during the times the Y is closed. There will be an emergency phone in the Cardio Center to use if needed to call 911.
What if a member with 24-hour access lets a member without 24-hour access into the Wellness Center with them after hours?
- Members with 24-hour access cannot grant access to other individuals, even if they are YMCA members and known to you. Granting access to another individual will result in the member losing 24-hour access and possible termination of their Y membership.
What are the safety and security measures for the facility?
- The Cardio Center is monitored by a video surveillance system for security purposes. Staff will review the video on a daily basis to address any security concerns and monitor for appropriate usage. You should not assume the facility is monitored live.
Will 24-hour access be available in Portage?
- No, not at this time. 24-hour access is restricted at the Maple Street location.
Why are you implementing 24-hour access?
- To meet the growing needs of those who work different shifts. It’s in response to member feedback asking for and longer/extended hours.
Why the 24-hour access in Kalamazoo (Maple Street Y) and not in Portage?
It’s prohibitive to set up a secure and safe 24-hour access center in Portage due to the location of the exercise equipment compared to the Maple Street YMCA.