Exercise and Parkinson's Disease
We are dedicated to helping people with Parkinson's disease (PD) manage their symptoms and maintain a quality of life. It's one of the many reasons we offer Total Parkinson's ®, a fitness program designed to empower people with PD to take control of the disease with daily exercise.
Total Parkinson's® is a life-changing wellness program. It is founded on evidence-based, structured exercise routines that are focused on strength training and correcting disease-specific physical challenges. They work toward retraining the mind and body.
The empowering results of our Total Parkinson's® fitness program can help with:
- Moving about with ease and confidence in a crowd
- Getting out of bed or rising from a chair independently
- Improved handwriting; dressing independently
- Diminishing worry that stiffness, slow steps, and other symptoms are obvious, regaining a sense of moving with normality
- Total Parkinson's ® is a fitness program designed to empower people with Parkinson's Disease (PD) by targeting their symptoms and optimizing their physical function
PARKINSON'S 2022 SESSION DATES
- January 4 - March 24
- April 5 - June 23 (Registration dates 2/15-3/28)
- July 12 - Sept 15* (Summer Session - Registration dates 6/6-7/5)
- Sept 27 - Dec 15** (Registration dates 8/16-9/19)
*Labor Day week no class, returning for 9/13 & 9/15, no class 9/20 & 9/22. Then the fall session starts on 9/27.
**Starting Sept. 27, 22, Total Parkinson's will be at Maple. There will no longer be Parkinson's programming at Portage.
- Tuesday & Thursday 1:10-2:00pm
- Tuesday & Thursday 2:10-3:00pm
12-week sessions. A physical assessment is required prior to your first class enrollment.
Instructor: Sheri Shon, THW certified lead instructor
Cost: $90 Y members, $160 Community
The following forms are required to participate and should be returned within two weeks prior to the start date. Have your doctor fill out the medical clearance and return all completed forms to Shashu Baraka.
- Total Health Works Intake and Enrollment Form
- Total Health Works Medical Clearance Form
- Total Health Works Packet Informed Consent HIPPA
For more information contact:
BEFORE YOU SEND PRIVATE INFORMATION TO US PLEASE READ THIS
Collection of Sensitive Information
Where necessary, the Y may collect certain sensitive information from you, including
- Health information in connection with various programs, such as our chronic disease programs, programs in which we are responsible for supervising children, health screenings, or other health service events that we may provide from time to time;
Access to sensitive information is restricted to those individuals who have a legitimate need for access and have passed our Y-USA HIPAA Compliance training. We will not use or disclose your information to third parties unless such disclosure is necessary to accomplish the purpose for which the information is collected.
Help us keep your protected health information (PHI) secure by returning enrollment forms in a sealed envelope addressed to the person requesting the information or by using the secure fax line listed on the forms.