Earlier this June, the YMCA of Greater Kalamazoo, through its Tennis Department, was awarded the 2020 USTA Midwest Member Organization of the Year Award.
The award recognizes outstanding service by a member organization to its members and the game of tennis based on tennis offerings inside and outside the walls of their physical facilities.
A member of the USTA Western Michigan District, the Y’s tennis department was recognized for several long-standing programs which include
- Donating its entire tennis facility to the USTA Boys 18s and 16s National Championships.
- With the support of the Western Michigan Tennis Association, serving as the go-to facility to bring USTA into the community.
- Providing access to courts by surrounding schools to support High School tennis.
- Working with the Spanish speaking community at El Sol Elementary to provide tennis programming in parking lots at the school.
- Offering pre-school and Montessori schools tennis programs.
Statement from Erik Anderson, YMCA of Greater Kalamazoo Association Tennis Director: It stands to reason that this Y association would be deeply connected to the USTA due to the very strong tennis community we have in Kalamazoo County. As a YMCA, we look for opportunities to apply the Y philosophy and culture in all our programs, and tennis is no exception: we focus much of our efforts on making our facilities and tennis programs accessible to all. This award is an honor to the Y, as we continue to look for ways to lift tennis as a lifetime sport for everyone to enjoy for health, fun, and opportunities for competitive play.
Click here for the podcast of an interview on WKZO AM 590 with Ken Lanphear talking to Association Director Erik Anderson about the award and the tennis department.